Demulcents sooth inflamed or irritated tissue and are mucilaginous. They are indicated for ulcers, sore throats, bladder infections, inflammation in the upper respiratory tract and bowels.
- Marshmallow (Althea officinalis)
- Slippery Elm bark (Ulmus fulva)
- Aloe gel (Aloe vera) – used externally for burns and internally for irritated digestive tract, also used to soften skin.
- Comfrey root (Symphytum officinale)
- Licorice (Glycerrhiza lepidota) – digestive and respiratory aid
- Irish moss (Chondrus crispus) – digestive, also known as carrageen moss
- Icelandic moss (Cetraria islandica) – respiratory
- Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) – respiratory
- Mullein (Verbascum thapsus) – respiratory
- Chickweed (Stellaria media) – respiratory