A warming winter soup with bright, happy color and great, rich flavor.
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds organic carrots, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons Greek yogurt, whipped up, to garnish (optional)
- 6 sprigs of thyme, to garnish
In a large stockpot over medium-low heat, add ghee and onion. Cook until soft and fragrant.
Mix in carrots, garlic, bay leaf, and ginger and let cook, stirring once in a while, for 20 minutes or so.
Add the stock, increase the heat to medium, and bring to a slow simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until carrots are fork-tender. Remove bay leaf and compost.
Using an immersion blender puree until smooth.
Season with salt and nutmeg. Ladle into six bowls and garnish each with yogurt and thyme.
Adapted from Shape Magazine